Saturday, February 17, 2007

Snail Mail

You know there is nothing like good 'ole snail mail. It's so sad that it's going out of fashion. There's nothing like going to the post office and finding out you have a letter. That special feeling---holding on to something that somebody actually took the time to sit down and write, put in an envelope, take to the post office and spend money on to mail to you! How great is that! I love letter writing--unfortunately I along with so many other people don't keep up with it because of technology. There's just something about sitting down and writing to someone in your own little style. I love the pens, stationary, stickers, etc. that can go with it all.
This is something that I have always done with my students. Teach, or try to, the art of the letter. It started out as a language lesson, but has evolved into a life lesson. We write to friends, family, kids at boarding school, missionaries, pen pals, etc. Many of my kids (well the girls) share in the love of all things stationary, so it's not a big jump to actually use that love. It's been great to share in their joy of getting a letter back from someone, and then wanting to sit down and write right back to them. It's a fun thing that we can all get into. Something that we, for a minute, can share with the old days (it's a great lesson on the Pony Express) before text messaging, blogging, e-mailing, chatting on IM, etc.
My challenge to you is to actually take that break from technology, sit down with a pen and paper, and write some words to an old friend. Possibly you'll get a letter back and be able to share in that special feeling of getting a letter.

1 Comments:

At 3:07 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Did you get your kids pen-pals? I had 40 pen-pals at one time when I was in high school. I love pen-pals!

It is sad that snail mail goes out of style. you know, Lisa, over the last year I have written you like 4 snail mail letters and haven't mailed any of them. It's not the writing that's hard, it's the addressing of the envelope and putting it in the mailbox!

I'll try to find them all and get them to you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home